Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Use any vegetables you have left in your fridge that you need to use. Add meat to give more flavor.
- 2 cups potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup carrot
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- Chop and steam all vegetables.
- Melt butter. Add flour and stir till smooth. Slowly add milk, keeping mixture smooth. Cook till thick.
- Put vegetables in casserole dish and top with sauce and cheese.
- Cook till cheese is melted.
I picked this recipe out because I had a bag of fresh broccoli about to go bad (not my favorite veggie), and needed a way to use it up quickly. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting it to be great, but I was wrong! This is a great way to use up odds & ends of veggies, but would also be worth buying them for it. I used 4 cups of brocolli, 2 slightly soft red potatoes, some carrots & green onion. I didn't see the need to add any more veggies, but I think it would be good with any combination based on what you have on hand. I used skim milk, and sprinkled the vegetables with salt, pepper and some dried rosemary before pouring the sauce over them. I think that the spices added a lot, and wouldn't recommend making it without at least some salt & pepper. I think this recipe converted me into a broccoli lover. It's going into my 10 star cookbook!