Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Best with left over smoked turkey
- 3 tablespoons and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 (28 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chilies
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups coarsely shredded cooked turkey
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 inches flour tortillas
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1- 1/2 cups onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add enchilada sauce, tomatoes and chipotles. Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Mix turkey, 1-1/2 cups cheese, sour cream, 1/4 cup onions and 1/2 cup cilantro in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook 1 tortilla until pliable, about 20 seconds per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce in 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture in center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas. Arrange seam side down in dish. Spoon 2 1/2 cups sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake enchiladas until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Rewarm remaining sauce in saucepan over medium-low heat. Transfer to sauceboat. Serve enchiladas, passing sauce separately.