Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This hot biryani is ideal for using up roast turkey or chicken, left over from the big day. This recipe works equally well with fresh turkey. Dice 1lb fresh turkey breasts and saute with the red onion and carrot for 4-5 minutes. Continue to cook with the rice until the turkey is thoroughly cooked through.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 lb basmati rice
- 4 1⁄2 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 lb turkey, cooked, skinless, diced
- 2 tablespoons hot madras curry paste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- Add the oil to a large flameproof casserole dish and set it over a medium heat.
- Add the carrots and onions, and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Add the rice, pour over the stock, then add the turkey.
- Stir in the curry paste and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat then cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the cilantro, then divide between serving bowls.
- Serve with poppadoms and mango chutney.
The flavor is wonderful! The heat was waaay to hot for myself and DS, but DH loved it. I gave it 4 stars just because of the heat. We also added a dash or two of coriander....really nice recipe.