1/6 Photos of Leftover Steak Sandwich With Onions and Mushrooms
This is a delicious sandwich and a great way to use up leftover steak --- I really don't even bother measuring out the exact amounts, the amounts I have listed I think are pretty close to what I use when I make this sandwich, you may adjust the ingredient amounts to suit taste, and to save some time you can fry the onions and mushroom/garlic mixture well in advance --- it's not really necessary to brown the bread, I like to do so as I find it makes a difference to the taste of the sandwich, serving size is only estimated --- this is delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, sliced
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml oil
- 453.59 g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 29.58 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 44.37 ml whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 44.37 ml ketchup (can use more)
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 453.59 g cooked leftover steak (sliced to about 1/8-inch thick)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- sliced mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1 loaf unsliced bread (use a large French or Italian bread, sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1Butter each large half of the bread then, the place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown lightly or until slightly crisp.
- 2In a large skillet cook the onions in the butter and oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are crisp and golden, season with salt and black pepper; transfer to a paper towel using a slotted spoon.
- 3Add in more butter and/or oil to the skillet if desired and add in the sliced mushrooms and garlic; sauté until the mushrooms loose their moisture and are lightly browned; transfer mushroom/garlic mixture to a bowl.
- 4To the same skillet add in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper, stirring with a wooden spoon to deglaze the skillet, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of the skillet.
- 5Add in whipping cream, ketchup and mustard; simmer over low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add in the beef slices and mushroom/garlic mixture, stirring until heated through, simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes (or more if desired) stirring occasionally.
- 7On the bottom half of the browned bread place sliced cheese, then green pepper rings, then steak/gravy mixture.
- 8Season with black pepper and then top with browned onions.
- 9Top with the remaining bread, the cut into serving size pieces.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leftover Steak Sandwich With Onions and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 699.1
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 120.2 mg
- Sodium 1063.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 47.0 g