Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I purchased a nice, new crock pot a few days ago so I christened it with this recipe. Knew I had to do something with the leftover roast........very happy with the end result!!! Great served with the sauce, or plain for a quick snack.
- 2 lbs roast beef (large chunks)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 medium jalapenos (finely chopped, with seeds)
- 1 (16 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 small dried hot red chili peppers, whole (any market)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (2 lb) package burrito-size flour tortillas
- Add all ingredients except cornstarch and tortillas to crock pot, cook on high until contents start to simmer then switch to low, stirring occasionally. After approximately 6-8 hours meat should become slightly shredded when stirring.
- IMPORTANT--Remove the red chili's at this point! Too hot for most to bite into!
- Mix cornstarch with 3 tbsp water, stir into burrito mixture a little at a time, (just enough to thicken). Check for salt, adding more if needed.
- Remove all the meat to a separate dish with slotted spoon, reserving most of the sauce. Leave sauce in crock pot to stay warm.
- Warm up burrito size flour tortillas in microwave, (20 seconds each).
- Assemble burrito using approximately 2-3 serving spoons of the meat mixture.
- Pan fry if desired till lightly browned on both sides in about 1/4 inch of oil.
- Serve hot, with sauce and your choice of toppings ie: cheese, sour cream, or guacamole. Or serve as a plain burrito
- Great either way.