I clipped this recipe year's ago and adapted it to use my leftover beef roast and steaks. Just chop up any leftover beef, throw it in a freezer bag and store until you have enough to make the soup. Also, save your leftover broth. It really makes the soup rich and flavorful. Great for a cold winter day!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups beef broth (if you don't have enough, make up the rest with water)
- 2 cups chopped cooked boneless beef roast (or steak)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, saute carrot, celery & onion in butter until translucent.
- Add the broth, water, beef, tomatoes, barley, salt, pepper, basil and oregano; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Excellent way to revitalize overcooked roast. I used one can of spicy V-8 in place of one cup of broth. Next time I'll leave the peas out. Didn't seem to fit with the rest of the soup.
Fabulous soup! I had cooked a beef rump roast which tasted good but wasn't tender the way we like a roast to be. I diced it very finely before putting it in the fridge after dinner and went looking for recipe to use it up. So glad I found this one! I was able to make 2 batches with the meat we had left over, and we ate it up quickly! I used 2 cups of low-sodium tomato vegetable juice (V-8) in place of 2 cups of broth, and I used regular (not quick-cook) barley. Also I added 1/2 teaspoon of dill weed in place of the oregano. This recipe now has a prominent place on our "Make It Again" list!
I loved this soup and so has everyone I've served it to! It is so simple to prepare but to add a little dimension to the flavour, instead of 8 cups of beef broth, I used 4 cups beef broth, 3 cups vegetable broth and one can of Campbell's French Onion soup! Leftovers freeze well.