Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yummy way to use up left over rice
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- onion powder (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- combine all ingredients except oil and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes, then form small patties.
- over med. high heat warm oil, then fry patties for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Be careful when flipping, they sometimes break but still are tasty!
I think the key to having well formed patties is to use leftover rice (not freshly made), and allowing the patties to sit in the refrigerator to set. I rolled mine into balls that I then rolled into a 1/2-1/2 mixture of corn flake crumbs and Panko crumbs. I let them sit in the refrigerator for a good 45 minutes. I flattened them after I put them into the pan to fry, and served them with some sour cream with chopped green onion mixed in- DELICIOUS! This recipe is great inspiration, and easily changed to your tastes.
I included some shredded bacon I had left over from pizzas, and a bit more egg so they held together better, plus three different types of cheese (colby, gouda and parmesan), left out the onion powder and they turned out really yummy.
Made this last night and DH and I loved these...used brown rice added two eggs instead of one and some flour along with some Zydeco Spice Mix#493372 mixed in for some zip. I then put in the fridge (in patty form) for an hour and fried in butter/oil mix. They crumbled a little putting them in the pan but after they cooked on one side they were fine. Definately a recipe I will use again. Thank you for posting.