Recipe by Sharon A. H
This is a delicious way to make Reubens from your leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage! My DH likes it better than the original Reubens because it uses the leftover cabbage instead of sauerkraut (less "pickled" taste). I recommend reheating the corned beef and cabbage in the microwave or on the stove prior to assembly.
- 8 -12 slices corned beef, thinly sliced
- 8 slices marbled rye bread
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked cabbage, drained
- thousand island dressing
- butter or mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread each slice of bread with either butter or mayonnaise.
- Place 4 slices of bread buttered side down on hot griddle. If using a skillet, make 2 sandwiches at a time.
- Top bread with 2 slices of corned beef, 1-2 slices of swiss cheese, a small mound of cooked cabbage and 1-2 tablespoons of Thousand Island Dressing.
- Top each with the remaining bread, buttered side up.
- Flip over when brown.
- Compress sandwich with spatula and brown the other side.
- Remove from heat when done.
- Let stand 1-2 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Makes 4 gooey sandwiches or 8 halves.