Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that I use to deal with leftover pork in roast, chop or pork loin form. It is very flexible in helping to use up other vegetables as well. You can even substitute the pork for leftover chicken too. A simple recipe that makes an easy meal. You can add diced mushrooms, partially cooked carrots, asparagus, peas and other vegetables that you wish to use. I've also sprinkled leftover bacon bits onto the casserole during the last five minutes of cooking. Adding a 1/2 package of onion soup mix to the soup mixture will also increase the flavour. If you want a thicker soup and are not adding the rice to the casserole dish, substitute the 5 ounces (1/2 the soup can) of milk with 8 to 10 ounces of sour cream. This alternative goes very well with egg-noodles rather than rice.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 cups pork
- 2 cups broccoli florets, frozen
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 5 ounces milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice
- Place skillet on medium-low heat. Add a tablespoon of butter.
- Peeled and coarsely chopped the onion into bite size pieces. Coarsely chop the celery. Add to the skillet. Stirring occasionally as it cooks.
- While onions and celery are cooking, break up the broccoli into florets. Add more if you like lots of broccoli. Cube the pork into bite-size pieces. Place these into a casserole dish.
- Mix the soup, milk and Worchester sauce together.
- When the celery and onions are partially cooked and the onions have begun to caramelize slightly, add to casserole dish. Poor soup mixture into casserole dish and mix together.
- Cook in 350 oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbling and starting to brown along the edges.
- Meanwhile mix rice and water together. Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat until all water is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- NOTE: You can also reduce the water by 1/2 cup and add the rice and the 1.5 cups water to the casserole dish, cover it and cook at 350 for one hour. This will allow the soup to flavour the long grain rice.
- Serve casserole on the rice.