Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a great dish to use leftover pork and gravy, and it's so easy to fix. I use the crockpot, but it can be done on the stove or in the oven. We love this dish, as it has a little different taste to it.
- 4 cups cooked pork roast, cubed
- 2 cups pork roast gravy
- 1 (28 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper, cubed
- 1 large onion, cut in wedges
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 10 drops hot sauce
- In a crockpot place the onions, bell pepper on the bottom.
- Add the sweet potatoes, peas and canned tomatoes, sprinkle with the thyme and the hot sauce,tuck the bay leaf into the juices.
- Place the leftover pork roast on top and cover with the leftover gravy.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- Just until the flavors are melded and the onions and bell peppers are cooked.
- Serve with hot crusty bread and a salad.
- This can be done on top of the stove or baked as a casserole also.
I made this and we liked it, definitely a keeper for using leftover roast pork. I fudged the amounts a bit as I had more like 3 1/2 cups pork and 1 1/2 cups gravy. I am in Australia and they do not do canned sweet potatoes, so I used about 500g (4 small) fresh sweet potatoes (kumara), peeled and sliced in about 3/4 inch thick slices. I also only had a small onion. I added some extra gravy powder at the end to thicken it.
Okay, who would have thought this strange combination of ingredient would be THIS good? I am amazed! This is really good. I cooked it on the stove, and I was out of hot sauce, so I used taco sauce (not seasoning) and, then when it wasn't spicy enough, I added crushed red chilis and then I also added Santa Fe Chef Seasoning. It is wonderful! Thanks for the great recipe!
This was so good. Thank you. The mixture sounded odd, but it all came together & tasted great.