Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious, cheap, and fast recipe that is perfect for my allergy riddled family. I love the rich flavors and the adaptability that makes this dish fresh and something that everyone can enjoy. I usually make this with whatever leftover meat and/or veggies we have in the fridge, or if I am in a pinch I just add extra veggies (more carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever you have). Looking for a use for all of those broccoli stalks? Dice em up and saute them with the onions! They add a great flavor and crunch. I did not make this spicy because of the little one, feel free to add some peppers after you saute the onions. This is adapted from The Gluten Free Vegan by Susan O'Brien.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or more)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons honey (we used honey) or 2 tablespoons agave nectar (we used honey)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (or any nut butter if there is an allergy)
- 3 cups meat (optional, we use leftovers)
- 1 (227 ml) can water chestnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 4 green onions with tops, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemons (optional) or 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- 6 ounces rice noodles
- Bring a saucepan of water to a rolling boil.
- Remove from Heat!
- Add the noodles.
- Allow the hot water to slowly cook the noodles (so they don't get mushy).
- Check often and strain when cooked.
- Saute the onions, garlic, ginger, and carrots in the oil about 5 min
- Add cooked meat if using, and stir.
- Add the water chestnuts and peanuts, stir.
- Add vinegar, tamari, honey, nut butter and toss to coat. Heat through.
- Add green onions and lime juice.Toss to heat
- Toss the cooked noodles with the sauce and serve.