Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ok, so I had this leftover meatloaf that no one was going to eat [no one but me likes meatloaf] and I needed to use it up, so I came up with this soup, and it turned out pretty good. I’m really just posting it so I remember how to make it [ha-ha] if you make it, feel free to sub prepared meatballs as well, and to mix up the veggies as to what you have on hand. It makes a lot, but it does freeze okay.
- 1⁄2 basic meatloaf, chopped (left over)
- 1 (26 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 -3 cups frozen vegetables (peas, corn and green beans)
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley (more if you like it thick)
- 1⁄4 cup alphabet pasta (or any other small noodles)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté onions and garlic in a small amount of oil.
- Add carrots and potatoes, and cook for another minute.
- Pour in tomatoes (I used to pre-seasoned kind) and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add frozen vegetables, barley and pasta, and meatloaf.
- Return the pot to a boil, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Toss in a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves (optional).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I must say that I'm very pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe.Since there was only two of us,this is the way I made it.I started by saute'ing the onions in a little bit of canola oil,added a few diced baby carrots( since that is what I had on hand). Then I added the diced potato.Then I just used 1 quart of broth,one 14.5 ounce can of italian style diced tomatoes,about 1 cup of frozen corn,about the same amount of frozen peas.Since there was just SO and myself ,only 1/8 cup of barley was used,for the pasta I used about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Campanelle Pasta.I didn't use any garlic I just used about 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder.For the meatloaf I used leftovers from Recipe#213228.This was a very warm and filling meal on a cool fall night.This soup just tasted so good.Thank you forposting,this will be made again."Keep Smiling:)"
This soup was a fabulous idea. I didn't know what to do with my Asian style meatloaf. So I googled leftover meatloaf soup recipe ideas. This came up, so I decided to go with this recipe. It turned out to be very tasty.. However, I added celery, yellow peppers, and bok choy instead of spinach. Plus I use bay leafs to boost the flavor some more. I will definitely be making this again. This was fabulous.
I made the best soup based on this recipe! I only used barley and began by making the three-serving amount of barley, then added other ingredients to it, the leftover meatloaf, one chopped onion, and since it was "leftover" meatloaf, I used leftover frozen vegetables in my freezer and some leftover vegetables from the fridge, and it was the best soup I think I have ever made! Any seasonings in your meatloaf sort of melds all through your soup, plus it automatically thickens with the ingredients of the meatloaf. It sort of all cooks up with only two or three chunky bites! But yum! I will make this again from now on! Thanks for the great Depression II recipe!