Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here is your basic simple leftover casserole that although ,it uses the same ingredients, tastes very different. Quick do ahead. Plan for this casserole the next time you do mashed potatoes, gravy and roast
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4.92 ml sugar or 4.92 ml Equal sugar substitute
- 14.79 ml margarine
- 709.77 ml mashed potatoes
- 709.77 ml left over pot roast or 709.77 ml other meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 236.59 ml frozen green peas or 236.59 ml fresh peas
- 473.18 ml left over gravy or 396.89 g can gravy
- 59.16 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 2.46 ml paprika
- Fry the onions in a hot dry skillet, sprinkle with the sugar or sweetener and cook until the onions start to brown. Add margarine and cook until they are tender, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with veggie oil and spread half the mashed potatoes on the bottom, then the meat, onions, peas and gravy. Cover with the remaining mashed potatoes, sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake in a 375 F oven for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
My family loved this casserole and I was glad to use my left-over pot roast! I made the casserole according to the directions but did add the left-over carrots that I had. This is a good variation of Shepard's Pie. Will definitely make again.
What a wonderful way to use leftovers-homey comfort food at its best! Very easy, too. DH says he wants more.:) I am emailing this out. Thanks for sharing a keeper, Bergy. Made for All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag.