Recipe by Sue Lau
Great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Perfect for a light lunch or serving with sandwiches. Enjoy!
Top Review by agraham47
Had shallots that needed using & added with onions. Had no mushrooms & didn't miss them. Recommend "blooming" paprika in butter before adding broth. If using canned broth, needs no salt. Had a lot of potatoes & added extra broth. Very forgiving of proportions. Good combination of flavors. Doesn't need the creams. Quick, easy & tasty!
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml bacon drippings
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml chopped fresh mushrooms
- 411.06 g chicken broth
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml sweet paprika
- 473.18 ml prepared mashed potatoes (leftover is great)
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 29.58 ml sour cream
- 29.58 ml cream or 29.58 ml half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter or dripping until softened.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and onion is golden.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring to mix.
- Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.
- Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, and cream/half and half, stirring to heated through but not boiling.