Great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Perfect for a light lunch or serving with sandwiches. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (leftover is great)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter or dripping until softened.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and onion is golden.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring to mix.
- Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.
- Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, and cream/half and half, stirring to heated through but not boiling.
Had shallots that needed using & added with onions. Had no mushrooms & didn't miss them. Recommend "blooming" paprika in butter before adding broth. If using canned broth, needs no salt. Had a lot of potatoes & added extra broth. Very forgiving of proportions. Good combination of flavors. Doesn't need the creams. Quick, easy & tasty!
I love making soup - there's just something comforting about it. This was a very easy and yummy soup. Don't be tempted to add more salt - I did and it really doesn't need it at all. I used the bacon grease (not butter) and left out the scallions because I didn't have any. Very enjoyable!
Super yummy! Very hearty - great for a cold evening. We made this with Thanksgiving leftovers. We always boil down the turkey carcass with some onions, celery and carrots, and used the resulting stock. Also, we had lots of extra gravy, so we used about 1/2 cup of gravy in place of about 1/4 cup of potatoes and 1/2 cup of broth.