Recipe by Sue Lau
Great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Perfect for a light lunch or serving with sandwiches. Enjoy!
Top Review by agraham47
Had shallots that needed using & added with onions. Had no mushrooms & didn't miss them. Recommend "blooming" paprika in butter before adding broth. If using canned broth, needs no salt. Had a lot of potatoes & added extra broth. Very forgiving of proportions. Good combination of flavors. Doesn't need the creams. Quick, easy & tasty!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (leftover is great)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter or dripping until softened.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and onion is golden.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring to mix.
- Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.
- Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, and cream/half and half, stirring to heated through but not boiling.