Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was recently submitted to a news group to which I belong. I think it is very good and hope you like it, too. Preparation time in the kitchen is just a few minutes. When the big meal is through, this is a tasty way to use up the leftover mashed potatoes.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (approximately)
- 1 -2 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- onion (optional)
- chives (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- oil or Crisco, for frying
- sour cream (optional) or applesauce, for garnish (optional)
- Mix mashed potatoes, egg, flour, salt, pepper, garlic, and any optional ingredients, into mashed potatoes.
- Preheat skillet and add a couple of tablespoons of Crisco shortening or oil.
- Make sure the mixture is not too thin.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into hot pan; brown on both sides.
- Enjoy with sour cream or applesauce.
My mother used to make these, and this recipe is very like hers (she never added cheese, though--don't know why, because adding cheese sounds yummy). These are great slathered with butter. Thanks for submitting it.
I was disappointed with the results, unfortunately. Although the taste was good (how could it be not with our own recipe of mashed potatoes) the consistency was off. In the first batch fried, the outside skin was crisp but there wasn't enough structure to hold them together so they fell apart with the inside just uh.. mashed potatoes w/onion. The next batch, I incorporated more flour and a bit of baking powder and they turned out much better. The smaller they are made, the better! Use a tablespoon to plop the batter into the pan and you'll be much better off!
BUT... what a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes!
Great way to use left over mashed potatoes. I used both eggs but after looking at a few other recipes -- including my Grandma's, I noticed most stated to seperate the eggs. So I did that. Mix ingrediets with the yolks, then when you are ready to cook, whip room temperature egg whites to a peak and fold into the batter. This makes the pancakes light and fluffy. Otherwise great recipe!