Recipe by mstoos
These tasty muffins are a great way to clean out the refridgerator! The recipe came from a family cookbook and has always turned out great! Be sure to write down what you put in because they might not come out the same way twice!
Top Review by farmchick #2
I used leftover oatmeal in these. I also added a tablespoon of beet juice so they would be pink...this was for the little girl who was not enjoying the big or the little brother today. For oil I use coconut, and added chocolate chips, trader joes orange cranberries, raisins, and pecans....just the last bit in the bags because I was organizing the cupboards...they smell yummy. The kids loved them, and since all are grumpy today I think that is a compliment. I think the recipe is pretty easy to read if you decide what you are going to do and do it. I often change recipes to make them healthier, but if you think a recipe is there to follow with no thought...this may not be for you. Great recipe, thanks for sharing. I am printing this off as a emergency recipe...options are great when you don't want to get groceries in the middle of a snowstorm with three kids under five years.
- 2 -2 1⁄4 cups white flour (or combination no more than 1/2 cup of the last two!) or 2 -2 1⁄4 cups wheat flour (or combination no more than 1/2 cup of the last two!) or 2 -2 1⁄4 cups oatmeal (or combination no more than 1/2 cup of the last two!) or 2 -2 1⁄4 cups cornmeal (or combination no more than 1/2 cup of the last two!)
- 1 cup milk (etc.) or 1 cup juice (etc.) or 1 cup yoghurt (etc.) or 1 cup soymilk (etc.) or 1 cup buttermilk (etc.)
- 1 eggs or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup fat (oil, butter, peanutbutter...)
- 1⁄4 cup artificial sweetener (or less, white or brown sugar, honey or maple syrup -- if using the last two decrease liquid by 1/2)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (If using more than 1 cup "extras" increase to 3 tsp)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup raisins (or other flavor chips...) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup nuts (or other flavor chips...) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup dried fruit (or other flavor chips...) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup bananas (or other flavor chips...) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup zucchini (or other flavor chips...) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (or other flavor chips...)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except extras in a large bowl.
- Fold in extras.
- Spoon into paper-lined or lightly greased muffin tins.
- (makes about 12 regular sized muffins) The original recipe did not have a cooking time, but I usually put them in at 350 for about 12 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them just in case!