Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The original recipe for this curry is made with lamb loin chops but since they are so expensive, I tried making it with leftover roast lamb. It was a big hit. This is now my standby recipe whenever we don't finish a leg of lamb.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 cups cubed cooked lamb
- 1 onion
- 1 apple, peeled and cored
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped canned tomato
- salt and pepper
- Using a food processor (if you have one), finely chop the onion, apple, celery and garlic.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and cook the vegetables until softened but not browned.
- Stir in the curry powder and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock and tomatoes; simmer for two minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; add more curry powder if desired.
- For a smooth sauce, puree in the food processor and pour back into the skillet.
- Add the lamb to the skillet; cover and simmer until the lamb is heated through, about 10 minutes, adding a little more stock if the sauce is too thick.
- Serve over rice.
This recipe is a good base, but I needed to spice it up a tad. To do so I substituted: butter with ghee; thyme for the chopped stems and roots of three coriander (cilantro) plants; 2 tablespoons of Madras curry paste for the curry powder. I then cooked one diced onion and four finely-chopped cloves of garlic in ghee on medium heat for about 10 mins. Add curry paste and simmer gently for about 5 mins. Add apple, celery, raisins, half a cup of chicken stock and 1 can of chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 mins. Blend in food processor and return to pan and heat. Add diced lamb and simmer for 10 mins. Serve over Basmati rice garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Fast and easy AND delicious. Great way to use leftover lamb. I did substitute lamb broth for the chicken. I just took the lamb bone and boiled it and added that broth to the sauce. This will be a dish I will make again and again. Thank you.
What a great recipe for leftovers! I had leftover lamb roast and whipped this up for a quick, tasty dinner. Ready in no time and tastes good too.