Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I make this every time I make a holiday ham to use up the leftovers. It smells so wonderful as it cooks and pleases even the so-called pea haters in my family. Simple to prepare too..just chop all your veggies and ham up and toss everything into the pot and cook. No need to soak the peas overnight..just a rinse and drain before cooking.
- 1 (16 -20 ounce) package dried split peas, green, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 2 cups cooked ham, trimmed of fat, diced
- 4 -5 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)
- Chop veggies and meat, then combine everything in a large stockpot -- going VERY EASY on the salt as your ham and bouillon might be salty enough already (you will test and add more later if needed).
- Stir, then bring to a boil over high heat.
- Don't walk away from the pot.as soon as it comes to a boil,stir, then lower the heat to low and drop a lid on the pot, venting just a bit for a few minutes so you don't have a boilover.
- As soon as the temperature drops enough to avoid a boilover (a few minutes), go ahead and let the lid sit fully on top of the pan.
- Let cook on low, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours,stirring once or twice, until all veggies are tender.
- Give the finished soup a taste test and adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.
Lovely soup! I used 2 leeks instead of onions and it turned out great. The added spices are what sets this one above other ones I've made in the past. I subbed 3/4 tsp sage and 1/4 tsp thyme for the poultry seasoning because I didn't have any on hand. Thanks for posting, I will definitely make again!
Best split pea soup ever. I put a ham bone in while the soup simmered and run everything through the blender at the end. Made a great meal with crusty bread and salad. I would make this again.