1/4 Photos of Leftover Holiday Ham & Split Pea Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I make this every time I make a holiday ham to use up the leftovers. It smells so wonderful as it cooks and pleases even the so-called pea haters in my family. Simple to prepare too..just chop all your veggies and ham up and toss everything into the pot and cook. No need to soak the peas overnight..just a rinse and drain before cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 -20 ounce) package dried split peas, green, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 2 cups cooked ham, trimmed of fat, diced
- 4 -5 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)
- 1Chop veggies and meat, then combine everything in a large stockpot -- going VERY EASY on the salt as your ham and bouillon might be salty enough already (you will test and add more later if needed).
- 2Stir, then bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Don't walk away from the pot.as soon as it comes to a boil,stir, then lower the heat to low and drop a lid on the pot, venting just a bit for a few minutes so you don't have a boilover.
- 4As soon as the temperature drops enough to avoid a boilover (a few minutes), go ahead and let the lid sit fully on top of the pan.
- 5Let cook on low, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours,stirring once or twice, until all veggies are tender.
- 6Give the finished soup a taste test and adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leftover Holiday Ham & Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.5
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 239.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 19.8 g