My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried red beans, rinsed and sorted over
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/2 lb ham
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (Essence of Emiril Emeril Lagasse's Essence )
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 lb smoked sausage, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 4 cups ham stock (Ham Stock (Pressure Cooker) add water to make 10 cups) or 10 cups chicken stock or 10 cups water
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Place the beans in a large bowl or pot add wine and cover with water by 2 inches. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a large pot, heat the bacon grease over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the grease in the pot. Season with the Essence and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add the bay leaves, parsley, thyme, sausage, and ham, and cook, stirring, to brown the sausage and ham, about 4 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Add the beans and stock and/or water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken, about 2 hours. (Should the beans become too thick and dry, add more water, about 1/4 cup at a time.)
- 7Remove from the heat and with the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot. Or remove 3-4 cups of beans and puree in blender or with immersion blender, return to pot. Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.
- 8Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leftover Ham Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.0
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.1 mg
- Sodium 1236.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 22.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: