Recipe by CountryLady
This is a Mother/Daughter "creation" for using the leftover spiral ham from Christmas day - just add a green veg or salad to complete the meal. Quick, easy & very good - I'll buy another ham just so I can make it again!!
Top Review by shanti2
Loved it!!!!.used leftover spiral sliced ham,,,loved the sauce!!!..the wine ,the cheese,,the onions,,delicious!!!!i didn't double sauce as this was the first time I made this and wasn't sure how much sauce it would make.Update,,after cooking awhile I decided to make and add more sauce and I am glad I did,,,double the sauce!!! also be sure potatoes are cut thin,,cooks faster..
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb cooked ham, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes & slice very thinly.
- Pat dry with paper towels & set aside.
- Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan.
- Remove from heat & whisk in flour.
- Gradually whisk in milk & seasonings, return to heat and stir constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the wine.
- Set aside.
- Assemble in layers in the bottom of a lightly greased ovenproof casserole dish- 1/2 of the ham, 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the sauce and 1/2 the cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover & bake in a preheated 350°F oven for an hour.
- Remove cover & continue baking for another 15 minutes.