Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful, easy recipe to use up those holiday ham leftovers. You can add some veggies. I would suggest any of all of 1/2 cup celery, 4 oz. can of mushrooms, olives or peas. Even my picky kids love it and it has that homemade mac n cheese flavor. Adapted from a Mary Margaret McBride recipe, an ingenious woman, incredibly knowledgable for her time.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups chopped ham
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups grated cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- Cook noodles.
- Stir lemon into milk and let stand.
- Spray 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine ham, milk mixture, eggs, salt & pepper, and cheese with cooked and drained noodles, and any extra veggies.
- Pour mixture into dish, dot with butter or breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
I made this to put in the freezer because I have so much left-over ham. I did taste it before I put it in the freezer. It was delecious! The only thing I did different is add some broccoli.
Not sure if I will be making this again. I liked it; however, my two kidlets didn't care for it - they didn't eat the Easter ham either though.
This was very easy to make, and my two young kids and my husband liked it. I will add this to my list of recipes.