Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my Top 3 favorite sandwiches. My husband concocted this gem after St. Patrick's Day 2004. Since then, we've been known to buy a whole corned beef just for the purpose of making these sandwiches. The prep time does not include time to actually make the corned beef or bread.
- For the bread, I use Ciabatta (Italian"Slipper" Bread)#29100, by Lisa Pizza (we make 4 small loaves, rather than 2 medium-sized loaves if we intend to make sandwiches).
- For the corned beef, I find the biggest corned beef I can locate (usually about 4-5 pounds) and prepare it with corned beef and cabbage#52008 by chia.
- Slice both loaves of bread horizontally, like a sandwich.
- Arrange corned beef on bottom half of sandwich, dividing meat evenly between the two loaves.
- Arrange cheese to cover the meat.
- We use our toaster oven to melt the cheese, adding the top of the sandwich the last minute or so, so both halves are warm but the top half doesn't get over-crunchy.
- Alternately, you can wrap the whole thing up in foil and bake for less crunchy bread.
- (the crust is the best part of ciabatta, so I toast it in the open) Once your cheese is melted, put the top half of the bread on the bottom half, cut in half to make wedges, and enjoy!
- We don't usually have sides of any kind for this meal, since the sandwich is a very good size.
Loved this. For some reason, I got the bright idea to used Crumbled Bleu Cheese dressing on the sandwich, and OMG! My taste buds exploded! They are still doing a little happy dance as I type this. Try it!
Excellent sandwich, I used octoberfest mustard instead. With a kosher pickle. Thank you for sharing this recipe.