Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking for 1 or 2 often results in some leftovers. This recipe can be made using leftover chili with beans and is wonderful for a quick meal for 2 served along with a side salad.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups leftover chili, reheated
- 3⁄4 cup cornbread mix (Cornbread Mix)
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray onion soup bowls with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide the warmed chili between the 2 bowls.
- Mix together the cornbread mix, milk, egg white, cheese, corn and pepper.
- Pour over the warmed chili and place in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
My mom has always made Tamale Pie - one of my favorites - which is slightly different as it has the corn mixed in with the chili-type ingredients which are made specifically for the recipe, and we use a can of chopped green chilies in the cornbread mix instead of a jalapeno. What a great, easy, new take on her recipe! I can't believe we've never thought of doing it this way! Leftover chili never gets finished around my house (just too much of it) - but now it will! Thanks for revolutionizing one of our favorites!
I'm really impressed with the cornbread mix. I didn't add any of the sugar (personal preference) and loved the result. I used old cheddar and pickled jalapeno slices for the topping. I didn't have any leftover chili so I made a pot for this recipe (Now I have leftover, LOL). For me this is real comfort food with a high yumm factor. If you already have leftover chili it won't take long at all to make. Thanks Paula. Made for Photo Tag.
Great idea, really does perk up a leftover meal. I used Chili Con Carne With Beans #11149 with my usual changes. I chopped up the jalapeno & corn in a mini processor, I like my cornbread to have a smoother consistency. I'd say the cornbread top is too much like real cornbread for my family to rave about it (all shamefully prefer Jiffy corn muffins) but my husband loved the addition of the jalapeno. The onion soup bowls made such a great presentation that I will probably make this for a future group gathering where I think it will be well received. Thanks, Paula!