Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm notorious for making huge pots of chili that our family can never finish so this recipe came out of all the left-over chili in our fridge. I think it makes an old dish taste new again, with very little effort. If you don't have any chili, then why not whip a small amount up? Serve this dish with crusty bread or a nice salad.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes
- 3 -4 cups your favourite chili
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the unpeeled potatoes in half and parboil for about 10 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool slightly and then slice thinly, like you would for scalloped potatoes.
- Line a casserole dish with tinfoil and put potatoes in the bottom, mixing in dabs of butter and onion.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes start to brown.
- Take out of oven and pour chili on top, return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until warm.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake until bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
This was great! I love to make big pots of chili but then I get tired of eating it! I will keep this recipe on hand for an easy fix!
I had high hopes for this recipe as SG's recipes are usually very reliable. I was disappointed as the potatoes were distinctly undercooked despite cooking them for longer time periods both boiling and in the oven. Thankfully my 3 year old took a fancy to the potatoes, smothering them in tomato sauce and basically ate an adult's portion. I don't think it was the fault of the potatoes but in case it was, I used Desiree potatoes. The chili bit does work out well. Great idea but for some reason it didn't work this time around.
If you don't have a container of chili in your freezer, it will be well worth your time to make some. I have always loved chili as a baked potato topping however, cooking potatoes with sliced onion adds another layer of flavor and texture. I microwaved 2 large russet potatoes rather than parboiling and diced the onions. My chili is made with beans, so I added a bit of water to the sauce and had enough for 4 servings. Thanks Friedel, this is a truly wonderfull way to use chili.