Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm notorious for making huge pots of chili that our family can never finish so this recipe came out of all the left-over chili in our fridge. I think it makes an old dish taste new again, with very little effort. If you don't have any chili, then why not whip a small amount up? Serve this dish with crusty bread or a nice salad.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the unpeeled potatoes in half and parboil for about 10 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool slightly and then slice thinly, like you would for scalloped potatoes.
- Line a casserole dish with tinfoil and put potatoes in the bottom, mixing in dabs of butter and onion.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes start to brown.
- Take out of oven and pour chili on top, return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until warm.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake until bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
This was great! I love to make big pots of chili but then I get tired of eating it! I will keep this recipe on hand for an easy fix!
I had high hopes for this recipe as SG's recipes are usually very reliable. I was disappointed as the potatoes were distinctly undercooked despite cooking them for longer time periods both boiling and in the oven. Thankfully my 3 year old took a fancy to the potatoes, smothering them in tomato sauce and basically ate an adult's portion. I don't think it was the fault of the potatoes but in case it was, I used Desiree potatoes. The chili bit does work out well. Great idea but for some reason it didn't work this time around.
If you don't have a container of chili in your freezer, it will be well worth your time to make some. I have always loved chili as a baked potato topping however, cooking potatoes with sliced onion adds another layer of flavor and texture. I microwaved 2 large russet potatoes rather than parboiling and diced the onions. My chili is made with beans, so I added a bit of water to the sauce and had enough for 4 servings. Thanks Friedel, this is a truly wonderfull way to use chili.