This is a great way to use leftover chicken and get the family to love vegetables. Cauliflower is a nice extra to add. Vary the vegetables to suit your taste . Zucchini is a nice addition as long as you don't cook it too long. Salsa and sour cream are important additions to give that extra flavor. I used whole wheat tortillas but there are so many to chose from - pick your favorite. Instead of sour cream try whipped Cottage cheese with a pinch of sugar added. I used mixed Cumin Gouda & Cheddar cheeses - use your favorite cheese. The recipe may be doubled. Serve with a green salad
- 177.44 ml carrot, grated
- 177.44 ml sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 177.44 ml broccoli, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 177.44 ml mixed sweet pepper, chopped
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken, shredded
- 177.44 ml salsa (or more)
- 177.44 ml sour cream or 177.44 ml whipped cottage cheese
- 29.58 ml olive oil or 29.58 ml canola oil
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese or 473.18 ml cheese, of your choice
- 4 tortillas, 10-inch
- Prepare all the vegetables and cheese ahead of time. Keeping the carrots, garlic, cilantro and onions together in one bowl,.
- The broccoli, jalapenos and sweet peppers In another bowl and the chicken in a third bowl.
- Place a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil - add carrots, onions, garlic & cilantro, Stir fry for apprx 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and peppers, continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue cooking until everything is hot through. The veggies will be cooked but still have some texture.
- If you have two large skillets wipe them with the remaining tbsp of oil. If you only have one large skillet cook one quesadilla keep it warm & then cook the second one. Use medium low heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet top with half the vegetable mixture, then half the cheese, cover with the second tortilla.
- While cooking press down lightly on the top tortilla,.
- When the cheese starts to melt (apprx) 4 minutes)and the underside is golden brown, gently flip the quesadilla, be careful this may be tricky.
- Continue to brown the second side (apprx 4 minutes).
- Remove from pan and cut into wedges - A pizza cutter does this nicely.
- Serve immediately with Salsa & Sour cream.