Recipe by cervantesbrandi
I always find this recipe helpful when I am trying to use leftover chicken. It has a wonderful fresh flavor and good anytime.
Top Review by david_vollmers
A whole meal in a bowl. This is so easy and so tasty. This is going into the regular rotation at our house. I didn't have any jalapeno pepper, so I just used a regular yellow pepper, which still added some spice. I added some carrots to bring some extra nutrition and they fit in well with the flavors. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1⁄2 small white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a soup pan on medium high. Add tomatoes, onion, jalapeños and garlic. Cook for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are nice and pulpy.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper and cook covered on medium low for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook covered on medium low for an additional 5 minutes and serve.
- I always garnish this soup with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, some diced avocado and some crunchy tortilla strips.