Prep 8 mins
Cook 50 mins
I had a look at some of the other recipes like this on Recipezaar but mine is a little different so here it is. Occasionally we will have a roast turkey as a treat and this is what I make with the leftovers. I haven't made it with chicken yet but I'm sure it is just as tasty as with the turkey. It is also kid friendly, my 17 month old daughter will eat this no problem. (Cooking time includes 10 mins approx for cooking of rice)
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red capsicum, chopped (bell pepper)
- 236.59 ml canned corn kernel
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 7.39 ml dried thyme
- 473.18 ml cooked rice
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 14.79-29.58 ml mustard (any is fine, choose your favourite)
- 250 g cooked chicken or 250 g cooked turkey, diced
- 100 g tasty cheese, shredded
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a frypan and add garlic and onion, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the capsicum, corn, 1/4 cup stock, thyme and pepper, cook until capsicum softens, approx 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining stock, rice, sour cream and mustard. Add the chicken and remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/3 of the cheese and parsley until well combined.
- Transfer mix to the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cook for approx 20-25 mins until the casserole is heated through and the cheese has melted.
I used. Italian seasoning, as others did. Instead of thyme. Also used sharp cheddar cheese in the casserole and topping Very enjoyable meal. Thank You.
Loved this recipe :D I used 1tsp of dried thyme (as some reviews suggested the 1 1/2tsp was too much) and 1tbsp of course grain mustard. I also mixed in a tsp of parmesan into the rice, and added some mushroom, courgette and chopped fine green beans. Love it and will keep it for future use. Thank you. x
Red capsicum is red bell pepper - a sweet pepper, not chile. I made it as listed, and seasoned it with seasoning salt, dijon mustard (not bright yellow American mustard) and used cheddar cheese (which is what is referred as tasty cheese). Just add some cracked black pepper and salt to taste and this is delicious. Thanks! It was kid friendly too.