Recipe by Mirj
I always feel guilty about throwing away leftover bread. I once tried leaving it out for the birds, but my cat thought that was a good way to bait them, and then, well, poor birdies. This makes a very yummy light lunch or snack. If you have some really great bread and some really great cheese, you've got yourself a gourmet dish.
- 4 ounces leftover stale bread
- 3 eggs
- 4 ounces different leftover hard cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the bread into small cubes, and put into a bowl with a small glass of water.
- Allow to soak until it softens.
- Squeeze out all the water and crumble with your fingers.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and add the chopped herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the bread and the grated cheese.
- Mix well.
- The mixture should be soft, but consistent.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Make small patties of the bread mixture and drop into the hot oil.
- Flatten with a spatula.
- When one side is golden, turn the patties and fry to golden on the other side.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve with a bit of fresh pepper grated on top.