Recipe by TheShields
This is a recipe I came up with to use up leftover BBQ pulled pork. It was such a hit with my boys that I thought I would post it. The recipe as written uses a loaf of Rhodes bread dough as the pizza crust, but I'm sure you could use any crust of your choice, just follow the cooking instructions for that crust. I have tried this pizza on a pizza stone and on a cookie sheet, and the crust comes out crispier on a cookie sheet. Note, the prep time assumes that your bread dough has already been thawed and is ready to use.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
I made Recipe #116173 in the crock pot yesterday and wanted to try something different than just standard leftovers. I also had a fresh pineapple that I had just cut up this morning. While I'm not entirely a fan of meat & fruit together, I thought I'd try this recipe. I made my own thin crust with Recipe #70165 (excellent thin crust, btw). I think I would like it much better (personally) without the pineapple, but that's just my preference/taste. This was an excellent recipe, good use of leftovers and a wonderful change from the standard leftovers and/or pizza. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 loaf rhodes bread dough (thawed & risen, or pizza crust of your choice)
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup pork (BBQ, pulled or shredded) or 1 cup chicken (BBQ, pulled or shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple (chunked)
- hot pepper (pizza peppers) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Form dough into a ball, then roll into approximately a 13 inch long oval and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Remove the plastic wrap and spread the BBQ sauce onto the dough, leaving approximately a 1/2 inch edge around the dough without sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the sauce, covering evenly.
- Top the cheese with the BBQ pork or chicken and pineapple.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, cut with pizza cutter, top with pizza peppers (optional) and enjoy.