Recipe by viviansmomma
I made this today using some left over pork roast. You can adjust according to your own tastes. This soup will freeze well. Cooking time includes dry bean cooking. If using canned it should only take 20 minutes.
Top Review by lolabunny101
This is a hidden gem of a recipe..so glad I tried it! I had about half of a cooked pork roast left and didn't really want BBQ sandwiches all week so when I found this, it seemed perfect. I used chicken stock and canned beans and cooked for about 45 min with a little masa harina so it was a nice thick soup. The leftovers probably won't make it to the freezer, but they might fill a few tortillas. This is the newest addition to my cookbook, thanks!
- 1 cup dried black beans (or 2 cans black beans)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cooked pork (left over CHOPPED pork,chicken, or beef)
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small onion
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For dry black beans, rinse and sort. Soak them in 6 cups of water. Simmer on medium for about 1 hour until tender. If using canned beans, place them in the pot with 4-5 cups of water.
- Chop onion. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT SALT.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes and salt to Taste.
- Garnish bowl with shredded cheese and sour cream.