Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This original vegetable dish is easy to prepare and a frequent request. It is one of the results of my quest to put some interesting flavor into steamed and boiled vegetables. I've tried using the juice from green olives instead of the vermouth, but it's rather bitter and a bit overpowering.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and cut off ends
- 1 medium-size leek, sliced in 1/8-inch sections
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry vermouth
- Place beans in 2 qts boiling water over high heat.
- Cover until boiling resumes.
- Boil uncovered for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Drain beans into strainer or collander and briefly run under cold water.
- Saute leek sections and garlic in butter or oil until tender.
- Add vermouth.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Add beans and cover tightly, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated (1-3 minutes).