Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The UK love Leeks as a winter veg and adding a cheese sauce is a traditional way to serve this flavourful vegtable. Go for Leeks which are small in size as these will be more tender than the large ones. The base for this receipe came from Good Hosusekeeping.
- 700 g even size leeks
- ground black pepper
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain white flour
- 124 g light soft cheese, with garlic and herbs
- 15 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Place leeks in a pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and boil for 2-3 min or until tender.
- Drain and reserve 300ml (1/2 pint) of the cooking liquid.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and mix until smooth.
- Blend in the reserved liquid and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the soft cheese, season and return to the boil.
- Arrange the leeks in a shallow flameproof dish, then pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place under a preheated grill until golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.
- Serve immediately.