Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from 500 ALL-TIME GREAT RECIPES cookbook I recently received from my partner in the current Cookbook Swap! A note is made that if you can find the tender, baby (pencil thin) leeks, use 16 of them for this recipe!
- 8 leeks, slim, about 5-inch long
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 egg, hard-cooked
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam leeks over a saucepan of boiling water until they are just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together mustard & vinegar.
- Cut egg in half lengthwise & scoop egg yolk into the bowl & mash it thoroughly into the mustard mixture, using a fork.
- Gradually work in the oil to make a smooth sauce, then season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Life leeks out of steamer & place on several layers of paper towels, then cover them with more paper towels & pat dry.
- Transfer leeks to serving dish while still warm.
- Spoon dressing over them & let cool.
- Finely chop egg white using a large sharp knife, then mix with chopped fresh parsley & scatter over the leeks.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.