Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from 500 ALL-TIME GREAT RECIPES cookbook I recently received from my partner in the current Cookbook Swap! A note is made that if you can find the tender, baby (pencil thin) leeks, use 16 of them for this recipe!
- 8 leeks, slim, about 5-inch long
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 egg, hard-cooked
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Steam leeks over a saucepan of boiling water until they are just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together mustard & vinegar.
- Cut egg in half lengthwise & scoop egg yolk into the bowl & mash it thoroughly into the mustard mixture, using a fork.
- Gradually work in the oil to make a smooth sauce, then season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Life leeks out of steamer & place on several layers of paper towels, then cover them with more paper towels & pat dry.
- Transfer leeks to serving dish while still warm.
- Spoon dressing over them & let cool.
- Finely chop egg white using a large sharp knife, then mix with chopped fresh parsley & scatter over the leeks.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tasty leeks! I only added 3 tbs of oil, so the dressing was less runny and more concentrated.
Great side-dish that could so easily grab centre-stage :) and would certainly complement many other dishes from meat dishes to pasta! I used regular-sized leeks, halved lengthways, then halved - again lengthways. Delicious dressing! My only additions were some fresh thyme and slivered almonds in step 8 which satisfied my need for some textural variation. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe. Made for Gimme 5!
The dressing is great! This comes together quickly, and is really good. I also made this for only one leek, and it turned out great. I made this for 123 Hits Tag!