Recipe by Jenny Sanders
One of my own inventions - a delicious combination of two very special vegetables.
Top Review by yamakarasu
This was actually the first time I ever picked up some leeks, so I wanted to do something simple that centered around them.I'm glad I found this recipe! Though it is delicious on its own, I admit I changed it slightly at the end. I didn't add any nutmeg, but instead added a few dashes of black pepper, worcestershire and a squirt of hoisin sauce. Yum! And the spinach and leeks went together beautifully! Thank you! I'm definitely going to make this often.
- 3 large leeks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock or 2⁄3 cup beef stock
- 1 bunch spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the leeks, leaving only the white and pale green parts.
- Slice them in half lenthwise, then in short slices crosswise.
- Wash them again and drain them well.
- In a large skillet, saute the leeks in the butter until they soften and begin to fall apart, then stir in the flour.
- Add the stock and season lightly with salt and nutmeg stirring well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the spinach and pick it over.
- Drain it well and chop it finely.
- Add the spinach to the leeks and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring to ensure the spinach is evenly cooked.