Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook by Paula Wolfert. Serve these leeks later in the day, or, even better, the following day.Yummy!
- Soak the leeks in warm water for about 30 minutes. Drain and cut into 2" lengths. Thoroughly rinse to remove any sand. Drain well.
- Combine the onion, olive oil, and carrots in a large heavy casserole and cook on medium heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the leeks and sugar, cover with a sheet of crumpled parchment paper or foil and a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 20 minutes. (Leeks and carrots should cook in their own moisture. If need be, add 1 tablespoon water.).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, soak the rice in hot water to cover for 10 minutes; drain.
- Add the rice to the leeks. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, tightly covered, over low heat for 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Leave the pan uncovered to cool before transferring the leeks to a serving dish. Spoon the vegetables and rice over the leeks, garnish with the chopped parsley, and serve at room temperature or chilled. Enjoy!