Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from Cooking Light. Posting for ZWT3. Great Brittain or France.
- 4 large leeks
- 5 ounces reduced-fat reduced-sodium swiss cheese (4 slices, 1 1/4-ounce each ,such as Alpine Lace , cut in half lengthwise)
- 4 ounces lean ham (4 slices, 1 oz. each, cut in half lengthwise)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks; leave 6 inches of each leek.
- Cut each in half crosswise. Steam, covered, 8 minutes or until tender.
- Wrap each leek half in 1 piece of cheese and 1 piece of ham.
- Place wrapped leeks, seam sides down, in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place flour in a small saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 6 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Reduce heat; stir in sherry, salt, and pepper. Pour sauce over wrapped leeks, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Arrange 2 wrapped leeks on each English muffin half; spoon sauce evenly over leeks.