Recipe by Ms B.
This is an incredibly easy and very wonderful way to prepare leeks. It is a perfect accompaniment for grilled fish or chicken served with buttered noodles. From the Perfect Vegetables Cookbook by Cook's Illustrated.
Top Review by loveandpeas
We really loved this recipe, it gave a great flavour to the leeks. I made it with creme fraiche instead of cream and left out the parsley. Loved the addition of lemon zest and prob about doubled the amount. thanks for submitting
- 4 medium leeks (between 3/4 inch and 1 1/4 inches in diameter)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim leeks about 2 inches beyond the point where the leaves start to darken.
- Trim the root end and cut the leeks in half length-wise and then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place the leek pieces in a large bowl filled with cold water and rinse thoroughly.
- Lift the leeks out of the water (the soil will have sunk to the bottom) and into a colander to drain.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, broth and zest.
- Cover and simmer until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until the braising liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.