Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an incredibly easy and very wonderful way to prepare leeks. It is a perfect accompaniment for grilled fish or chicken served with buttered noodles. From the Perfect Vegetables Cookbook by Cook's Illustrated.
- Trim leeks about 2 inches beyond the point where the leaves start to darken.
- Trim the root end and cut the leeks in half length-wise and then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place the leek pieces in a large bowl filled with cold water and rinse thoroughly.
- Lift the leeks out of the water (the soil will have sunk to the bottom) and into a colander to drain.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, broth and zest.
- Cover and simmer until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until the braising liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
We really loved this recipe, it gave a great flavour to the leeks. I made it with creme fraiche instead of cream and left out the parsley. Loved the addition of lemon zest and prob about doubled the amount. thanks for submitting
This was cool! My first dish of leeks, my first anything with leeks and I like them! Very easy, very tasty! Thanks! I probably should have cooked them longer like redletter suggests.
Family and guests rave about this recipe. Great flavor, much better than you'd expect with something so easy. You should expect to cook it longer than the recipe suggests -- at least 1o minutes longer, in my experience.