Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Marigold Allen, Beeches Country House. Adapted from The New Irish Table. I don't think a dish with this much cheese needs any salt, but use your own discretion. I also prefer this type of dish without bread crumbs.
- 8 large leeks, white part only, halved lengthwise and cut into 6-inch pieces
- boiling salt water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make sure leeks have been rinsed well.
- Cook in boiling salted water until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place cut side up in a greased baking dish.
- Pour cream over the leeks.
- Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake until cream has thickened and cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over leeks.
- Place 4" from heat source and broil until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.