Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the May/2005 issue of Cooking Light. Posted for 2005 Zaar World Tour. Cooking time does not include chilling.
- 4 leeks (approx 2 lbs)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of dark leaves.
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise to within 1 inch of bulb end, rinse with cold water. Arrange leeks in a single layer in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Combine water and next 6 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a small saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Pour vinegar mixture over leeks. Cover with foil, bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until leeks are tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove leeks, reserve cooking liquid. Cool leeks to room temperature Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Place the cooking liquid in a small saucepan, bring to a boil. Remove from heat, strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Discard solids.
- Place 2 leek halves on each plate, top each serving with 1/4 cup tomato and 1 1/2 tsp of olives. Drizzle 1 tbls reserved liquid over each serving and divide cheese evenly among plates. Sprinkle with chopped marjoram and chopped oregano.