Recipe by dicentra
From Bon Appetite. Quinoa can be made ahead of time.
Top Review by Cas
This was a super-flavoured way to be introduced to quinoa...now I just have to learn how to say it! I put some mushrooms and red capsicum in because I ran out of leek, which gave it a great blend of colours as well as flavours. Thanks for making my first experience a great one!
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place quinoa in strainer. Rinse under cold running water until water runs clear; drain.
- Mix quinoa, 2 cups water, and salt in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is just tender and almost all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Drain. Set aside. (Quinoa can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover; chill.)
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth. Cover; simmer until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and oil; stir until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, onions, basil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.