Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful dish from Tuscany.
- 2 medium leeks, finely chopped about 2/3 cup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes or 2 cups of seeded and chopped canned tomatoes
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth (or 3 cups of canned chicken broth plus 3 cups of water)
- 8 ounces day old italian whole wheat bread, cut into cubes about 6 cups
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced fresh basil
- In a large pot, cook the leeks in hot oil over medium heat about 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and crushed red pepper; add tomatoes and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 4 cups of the bread cubes. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add remaining bread cubes and simmer 5 minutes more. Just before serving, stir in basil and season to taste with salt.