Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Everybody Eats Well In Belgium for Zaar World Tour II
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (single)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks (cleaned and cut into 1 inch rings)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 ounces white wine (optional)
- 4 ounces bacon (chopped,1/4#)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake pie crust for 10 minutes or according to package directions, set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in medium sized saucepan.
- Add leeks, salt, pepper, and the wine. Cook, covered for 15 minutes. Do not let them brown.
- Saute bacon in skillet for 5 minutes over high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs together with the half and half. Season to to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Drain the leeks and spread them over the bottom of the pie.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
- Pour egg mixture over the leeks and sprinkle the grated cheese ove the top. Bake until the custard is set and a knife comes out clean about 20 minutes.
- Let the tart set for 10 minutes, before serving.