Recipe by jovigirl
Found on the Family Circle website. I love leeks... thought I'd share this with other leek-lovers too! (time includes backing crust, refrigeration and cooking)
- 1 ready-to-use rolled-out pie crust
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cut lengthwise, rinsed, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded havarti cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°. Unfold crust; press into bottom and up sides of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Trim excess; prick bottom with fork; line tart shell with foil. Fill with pie weights or beans.
- Bake in 400° oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven; remove foil. Brush crust with egg white. Bake 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Filling: Boil leeks in water 5 minutes. Drain; squeeze out water.
- Heat butter in nonstick skillet. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Add leeks; cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese over bottom of crust. Evenly distribute leeks over cheese. Slowly pour in egg mixture.
- Bake in 400° oven 30 minutes or until custard is set. If edges begin to brown too quickly, cover with foil.