Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Rachael Ray's new magazine.
Make and share this Leek Soup With Toasted Swiss Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs leeks, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 slices baguette (1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese (6 to 8 ounces)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh chives or 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley
- Combine the olive oil and onions in a medium Dutch oven and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the leeks and garlic, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook, uncovered, until the alcohol has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add the broth and the bay leaves and bring to a simmer; continue simmering for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Puree 2 cups of the soup in a blender and then stir it back into the pot.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the prosciutto over medium-high heat, stirring, just until brown; transfer the prosciutto to the soup and reserve the skillet.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add half of the baguette slices to the skillet and cook until golden and toasted on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn the baguette slices over and spoon a heaping tablespoon of the shredded cheese on top of each; cover with a lid and cook until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the croutons to a heatproof plate and keep warm in a low oven; repeat with the remaining butter, bread and cheese.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, add the chives and ladle into mugs. Place a crouton on top of each mug and another on the side and serve.
I loved this soup and have now made it 3 times, I have made a few changed to lower the fat, and didn't make the croutons as I am dieting!!!
I really liked this soup. The croutons are great! Love that you cook them in a skillet. I wanted a little more leek flavor so next time I will add more. I used white peppercorns. Thanks! Made for the Bargain Basement tag game.