Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This creamy soup has a sort of nutty flavor from the sherry and a tangy bite from the apples and cheese. It is so good with a green salad and some honey wheat bread! Adapted from Caprial's Cafe Favorites cookbook.
- 4 leeks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped (or 1 small red onion)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tart apples, peeled and diced (like Granny Smith)
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup apple cider
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces blue cheese (plus 2 tbls. for garnish)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice red apple (to garnish)
- Discard the green portion of the leeks(I save in the freezer for making vegetable stock). Trim and rinse the white parts thoroughly, then chop.
- In a large stockpot over high heat, melt the butter until it starts to bubble. Add the leeks, garlic, shallots, onion, apples, sherry, and cider and cover.
- Over high heat, saute the mixture until the onions are soft and half the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stock and simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or in batches in a food processor.
- Return the soup to hte pot, and add the cream, then stir.
- Over medium heat, bring the soup just to a boil. add the cheese and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot in a tureeen, garnished with slices of red apple and crumbled blue cheese, or in individual bowls. Enjoy!