Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Don’t let the name scare you! This soup is healthy and delicious. The original recipe called for creaming half of the soup, but we like it better chunky.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch cubes or 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Heat a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat and add the oil. When oil is hot, ad the leeks, onion, and salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir well. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Needs lots of adjustments. We tried it as per the recipe and it wasn't what we had hoped for. We made some additions - 1 T. butter, 1 c. cream, 1/4 t. mace and one more garlic clove. That was better but still not what we wanted. Seems to need less leek and more potato and use half-and-half instead of veggie stock. That would mean cooking the potatoes in a different pan and adding them already cooked. Use mace or nutmeg instead of rosemary. Would probably be better if half of the leeks and potatoes were pureed after cooking to thicken the brew.