Recipe by Midwest Maven
A refreshing light salad from Africa.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Refreshing and light, as promised. Makes a colorful presentation, too. I made this just as written. I found the leeks to be a bit too crunchy and sharp in flavor at first. After about 6 hours of chilling, they softened and mellowed a bit. If I was serving this right away, I'd blanch the leeks first. Otherwise, making it many hours ahead of time works. Thanx for posting!
- 1 lemon, the juice from it
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 leeks, the white parts only, sliced, well rinsed, and dried
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 firm medium cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the leeks.
- Chop the tomatoes and cucumber, seeding them if desired, and add to leeks.
- Add the olives and cilantro and toss well.
- Add more salt and pepper if you like and chill for an hour.