Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From Herbal Quarterly way back when...
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated gruyere or 1 1⁄4 cups emmenthaler cheese, grated or 1 1⁄4 cups swiss cheese, grated, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 12 ounces leeks, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line shell with parchament paper and add 1/2 pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes then remove weights/beans and reduce heat to 325F and bake 8 minutes longer or until bottom is dry.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cheese over bottom of crust and bake 5 minutes longer until cheese is melted.
- Remove and cool.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet until foaming subsides. Add the leeks and saute for 5 minutes stirring until they are soft. Add the thyme and aaute for two more minutes. Stir in wine. Reduce heat to med and cook stirring for about 3 minutes until the liquid is gone. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- In large bowl combine the eggs,cream, lavender, cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Stir in cooled leek mixture. Pour filling into the crust and bake for 35 minutes or until top has just set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.